Dr Google…..

My poor little angel has just come out in the chicken pox, ten days before we’re due to fly to Texas for three weeks.  While the timing isn’t great, it could have been a lot worse, imagine if they’d come out the day before – nightmare.

It made me laugh; because I panic and over think everything I’ve imagined her having chicken pox hundreds of times in her short life.  Any sight of a small bump or rash, an sign of spots and I’m phoning my Mum or consulting Dr Google to see if it’s the dreaded pox.  Every time she’s been a bit grumpy or had a cold I’ve questioned, I wonder if she’s getting it?  She’s had none of these signs over the last couple of weeks, in fact she’s been a picture of health, little miss sunshine.  Even this morning when she was complaining of an itchy spot on her back, it didn’t enter my head, I didn’t even look at it until she became very insistent.  As soon as I pulled down her pyjama top and saw the blistering lumps covering the back of her neck, I knew without a shadow of a doubt.  There was no hesitation, no consulting Dr Google, I phoned my Mum to tell her, sure in my diagnosis.  It just goes to show that there is no point in over thinking these things, they will come when they come, there’s nothing we can do about it.

Anyway, more importantly, I’m slightly panicking now because I haven’t had them.  I must have been around them numerous times because my four siblings and many cousins have had them, as must have my school friends.  So I’ve either just been really lucky or I’m immune.  I’m really hoping that I’m either one of these things again now because it would be really, really bad luck for me to come out with them, or worse – shingles, just before a holiday that I have been looking forward to for almost a year.

I don’t know what is worse, getting them before I go and having to fly with crusty scabs all over me or when I’m over there and walking around the Lone Star state covered in blistering spots.  It doesn’t even bear thinking about that I might get them the day before we’re due to travel and I’ll have to postpone our trip – that just cannot be a possibility.  And let’s face it, I’m no spring chicken, I won’t just get on with it like these youngsters do, I’ll get it really bad and suffer terribly.  I can’t have that.

I know I should be worrying about my little girl, bless her, I must sound so mean worrying about myself.   So far she’s been absolutely fine, she’s been on the trampoline this afternoon for goodness sake.  And God willing, she’ll be spot free in ten days time (and so will I) and we’ll be on that plane as planned.  I think I’m going to consult Dr Google and see if there is anything I can do to stop them coming?  I know, I know, I’m over thinking, but this is different, I have good cause.

Previous Post Next Post

You Might Also Like

No Comments

Leave a Reply